The Boys of Summer

Saturday, August 08, 2009

The Anti-Pujols

Let me quote a few things from a recent article I read about Pujols while researching just exactly what he had said over the issue of steroids (parsed down for brevity's sake):

---

"I can understand people being disappointed with A-Rod and Manny. But just because Manny made a mistake, now I have to pay? Just because A-Rod made a mistake, now I have to pay? Oh, guilt by association? That's wrong. For people to be suspicious of me because of the year I'm having and for people to say I just haven't been caught, that makes me angry and disappointed. I would never do any of that crap. You think I'm going to ruin my relationship with God just because I want to get better in this game? You think I'm going to ruin everything because of steroids? Come test me every day if you want. Everything I ever made in this game I would give back to the Cardinals if I got caught. I can understand why people don't know who they can trust or their hero was caught. I want to be the guy people look up to. But I want to be the person who represents God, represents my family and represents the Cardinals the right way. So many people can't wait until I do something negative. I can't understand it. That's sad, because I want to be that poster boy in baseball. Just give me the chance."

Pujols, who has three children with his wife, Deidre, and another baby on the way, goes to great lengths to maintain his untarnished image and uphold his deep religious beliefs. He doesn't drink or smoke. He doesn't have a tattoo or wear earrings. He doesn't go to bars, nightclubs or any place where his character could be assaulted.

"If we're in a hotel and a woman gets on the elevator by herself, I'll wait for the next one," Pujols says. "People have their agenda. You have to be careful who you can trust."

Says Giant Randy Johnson, a five-time Cy Young Award winner, "I think Albert is the one guy in our game who could go to the opposition, say something, and they'd listen. That's how highly people regard him."

And the 6-3, 230-pounder is saying things more often, especially when it comes to showing respect for the game. The baseball cap should be worn properly. The jersey tucked. The back pockets in.

"I see teams take their jerseys out when the game is over," he says. "To me, that's not professional. I don't care what you do when you get off the field, but don't do it on the field. You don't want kids to see negative things."

"Just because you make $100 million, just because people say you're one of the best, doesn't mean you don't work hard."

"It's as if he wants to not only be the best player today," Cardinals outfielder Chris Duncan says, "but the greatest player who ever played."

---

I'm glad that Pujols is so intensely vocal on the issue of steroids, as 1.) It makes me actually believe that he isn't on them and 2.) It's the sort of thing that helps people get past any disillusionment caused by steroids. I know there are a lot of people, like my father, who are incredibly cynical about the whole thing, but they still follow baseball closely because "At least Albert isn't juicing." A lot of people think Placido Polanco, because of his body type, uses steroids; I don't, because Pujols is close friends with Polanco and godfather to one of his kids. I don't think Pujols would associate himself with someone if they used (Polanco and Pujols were teammates from 2000-2002). Additionally, I think Pujols' willingness to stand up and act as a figurehead gives people a symbol to rally around; imagine if Hank Aaron and Albert Pujols publicly worked together to get the 2003 drug test results revealed. How could anyone say no?

What I found particularly interesting was the second half of the article, the part about professionalism. I was reminded of one specific player: Prince Fielder.

Fielder was eating up headlines the other day for his confrontation with Guillermo Mota. For those who missed it, Mota, a former teammate of Fielder's, beaned Fielder on the fat part of his thigh in the ninth inning of a 17-4 Dodger win. Mota got tossed; Fielder lifted himself to his feet and seemed to be saying something along the lines of 'Why the hell would he do that?' He looked more perturbed than anything else; he didn't rush the mound, that's for certain. After the game, though, a furious Fielder tried to enter the Dodgers lockerroom, presumably to confront Mota. He tried repeatedly to get past a Dodger-hired usher watching the door and several Brewers, including Ryan Braun, before relenting and turning back.

I don't know exactly what was going through Fielder's mind, either before, during, and after the beaning; what I do know is that his actions in the Dodger Stadium hallways were those of an idiotic child. If Fielder actually felt like he was being thrown at, he should have rushed the mound. Once he didn't, though, the ship had sailed on his chance to personally retaliate--maybe the Brewers could have thrown at Russell Martin or James Loney the next game, but Fielder's opportunity to take matters into his own hands was over. I don't know exactly how I feel about his on-field reaction: I am a huge believer in protecting your teammates and retaliatory beanings (though only if they are retaliatory), so I guess by extension I ought to support Fielder if he tries to protect himself. However, HBPs are just a natural part of the game, while trying to punch a guy in the face is not. I'm not sure how exactly I would feel about the situation if Fielder had charged Mota.

What I am certain of is that Fielder embarassed himself after the game. His actions were ridiculous: Did he really think he was going to gain entrance to the Dogder lockerroom and choke slam Mota? His actions were unprofessional: You're a grown man that a lot of kids look up to. Try and act like it, not throw rock-stars-trashing-their-hotel-room temper tantrums while screaming obscenities. His actions, most of all, were stupid: As anyone knows, and as I mentioned in my last post, the MLB polices itself, and the front offices have made it clear that, even though rushing the mound and punching a guy in the face technically constitutes assault (after all, if you did that on the street you'd be criminally liable and could go to prison), you can get away with it. What you CAN'T get away with is trying to fight people away from the field. Fielder was uncomfortably close to opening a particularly dangerous can of worms.

Note how Pujols wishes players would treat the game with more respect and, amongst other things, maintain a decent appearance on the field. What's the first thing Fielder does after the 27th out is recorded? Untuck his jersey. Pujols tries to set a decent example and doesn't drink or smoke. Fielder (in Pujols' backyard, no less) went through the entire Home Run Derby award ceremony with chaw in his lip and his jersey untucked, and spent the whole night dipping. And now this.

I was actually a fan of Fielder's last year, as his brief friendship with CC Sabathia was great entertainment. The two seemed to feed off the passion of the other, and it was a lot of fun to watch. After his display of a total lack of respect for himself and the game, though, you can count me out.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home